You are here: Essential Concepts and Issues > Doing the Personal Work
Doing the Personal Work
"Doing the work" is about understanding the theoretical constructs of structural racism, having a power analysis of systems we work and live in, developing the willingness and skills continually to align our intent and action, and dedicating ourselves to being in authentic relationships with people of different races and ethnicities.
The following are a few things to keep in mind in doing our personal work:
- A willingness to ask questions and face the answers.
- A willingness to be uncomfortable yet stay focused.
- An understanding of the importance of aligning our impact with our intent (walking the walk).
- An awareness of the possible consequences and risks of the journey.
- A commitment to remain on the journey and intentionally and consistently act to address racial inequities.